Vegans assemble! The ‘vegan’ trend has taken our lands by store in the last couple of years and they are really starting to make an impact in the food business. New modified vegan friendly editions of our old favourite foods are being made to please our environment loving friends. The vegan sausage roll is the latest fan favourite to succumb to the vegans. Do you want to know how to make one at home? Let’s get started.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
2 sheets of ready roll puff pastry
1 teaspoon of garlic granules, sage, smoked paprika and celery salt
2 sprigs of thyme
100ml of white wine
2 cloves of garlic
500g chestnut mushrooms
Sun-dried tomatoes in oil
How to make:
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees gas mark 6
2. Heat up a pan using olive oil
3. Chop up your onions, garlic, mushrooms and veg adding salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes
4. Add your sun dried tomatoes to the pan and mix with the veg
5. Set aside to cool
6. Place your leftover ingredients into a bowl with the previous mix now it is cool
7. Cut your puff pastry in half into four equal sized pieces.
8. Pour a line of your mixture into each bit of pastry and smooth it with the back of a spoon moulding it into a long sausage shape.
9. Use the almond milk along the pastry edges, then fold one side of the pastry up over the toppings and press the edges to seal with a fork.
10. Place in the oven for 25 minutes or until the pastry has a nice golden glow
Congratulations, you are now a vegan. What are your thoughts on this compared to the regular sausage roll?