Everyone loves a good salad. It is our go to “healthy food” when we promise ourselves we are starting a new diet and are going to be healthy from now on. Only to fall into the pits of a one off takeaway on a saturday night leading to two, and three, and four. Then, before you know it, the diet is over. It is a vicious cycle we play with over and over. So when you decide to start this cycle again, try this cycle out, an easy to make feel good food. Here’s how it’s done, dig in.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Servings: serves 2
250g small potatoes boiled and chopped
3 boiled eggs
200g Cherry tomatoes
4 anchovy fillets
Can of tuna 200g
5 tablespoons of olive oil
2 baby gem lettuces
Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt and pepper
50g black olives
1 garlic clove
How to make:
1. Mix the oil, vinegar, seasoning and mustard together in a bowl
2. Place the olives and garlic into the already mixed bowl.
3. Cook the potatoes for 15 minutes, boil the green beans for 5 minutes and boil the 3 eggs for 10 minutes until all are cooked perfectly.
4. Drain all of the above
5. Chop the potatoes and eggs into halves or quarters and place on the plate.
6. Sear the tuna on a pan for 8 minutes turning once.
7. Chop your lettuce and toss it with the sauces and olive oil and place on the plate.
8. Put everything you have cooked onto the plate on top of the tossed lettuce and there you have it, Nicoise salad.
9. Add more olive oil and dressing along with some basil leaves to top it off
Now you can get your diet back on track without any excuses, don’t repeat the cycle!
“I learned to make the classic Salad Niçoise when I cooked on a yacht off the South of France. Over the past decade, I’ve evolved this salad and it now appears frequently on my menus, sometimes as a simple starter or, as I’ve done here, with a whole piece of beautifully fresh fish as a main course. Whatever guise this dish takes, it must be the finest summer salad of all”- Chef Gordon Ramsay.