Chocolatey, gooey and rich, this recipe shows that just because something is vegan doesn’t mean that it has to compromise on taste. These chocolate brownies are the perfect decadent dessert, and taste excellent served slightly heated and paired with a generous scoop of vegan ice cream.
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 30 Mins
Makes: 16 Brownies
5 tbsp Sunflower Oil, plus a little extra for greasing
2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
200g Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
170g Self-Raising Flour
3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
180g Caster Sugar
Dash of Vanilla Essence
230ml Unsweetened Soya or Almond Milk
1.Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Grease a baking tray with a little sunflower oil and add greaseproof paper to the base of the tray.
2. Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water and add the majority of the chocolate. Stir until melted.
3. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, and stir. Add the caster sugar and a pinch of sea salt and stir.
4. Add the milk and melted chocolate, and stir until all ingredients are mixed together to form a thick batter.
5. Mix the ground flaxseed with a tbsp of water, and add to the mixture. Splash in a dash of vanilla essence, add the rest of the chocolate and stir.
6. Pour the mixture into the pre-lined baking tray and spread evenly. Place the mixture in the middle tray of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until fully cooked.
7. Leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve alone or with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.